Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Vitamin B6 (P5P) Story

I developed B6 toxicity while using the co-enzymated form of B6 (P5P).  Thus far I've not seen anything on the internet that suggests this can occur-which is why I wanted especially to post this.

For me, I began to experience neuropathy symptoms 2 days after starting the P5P.  I was using the enteric coated tablet form of P5P, and taking 33mg Coenzymated Vitamin B-6 (from 50mg P5P), twice a day.  After symptoms developed, I immediately shifted to less and also later tried a different form, a sublingual, that had 1/2 the mg.  I couldn't find the suggested enteric coated tablets in lower doses.  Anyway I completely stopped everything after 11 days, due to worsening neuropathy symptoms.  

It's been almost a month now - since I stopped all supplements containing B6 and drastically reduced the B6 in my diet.  I still have neuropathy symptoms.  And it's still surprising how the symptoms lessen or increase, depending on the foods I eat.

The damage, resulting from 11 days use, is still shocking to me.  And I'm probably one of the lucky ones.  Those that develop B6 toxicity with lower doses of B6, and are unable to pin down the problem, for perhaps years, are usually in worse shape.

That being said...I'm still dealing with it...and will just have to see how it goes.

--Annette

7 comments:

  1. I feel compelled to leave a similar story. I too experienced severe toxicity symptoms from P5P. I had disturbed sleep, anxiety, a metallic taste and most notably numbess/burning in both my hands and feet.

    It also worsened and improved depending on what I ate.

    This continued with no improvement for maybe 2 months. I took some other supplements during this time in hopes of improving it but failed to.

    One day on a whim I decided to take a larger dose of B12. It took sublingual methylcobalamin in a dose of 6 or 7mg but the B6 symptoms lessened then returned the next day. Encouraged by this I took the larger dose of B12 for the next few days and saw rapid improvement. After about 2 weeks on 5-10mgs of sublingual methylb12 (I used the source natural brand) my P5P symptoms left me and have never returned for months...I'm cured of the toxicity symptoms. There a small numb spot on my left index finger that is still there but it's extremely small. Other than that I'm back to normal. I'm not a doctor, I can't prescribe any course of treatment or tell someone what to do. I'm just sharing this experience in hopes that someone else can get appropriate treatment through their doctor if this happens to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has anything returned since? And how much b6 were you taking and for how long?

      Delete
  2. Looks more like an imbalance of other b vitamins

    ReplyDelete
  3. B2 (riboflavin) is needed (as is zinc) to process b6/p5p.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Test your genetics before choosing P5P. Livewello includes a test for B6 uptake (upload your 23andMe file), and others also probably track NBPF3 rs4654748. If you have the C allele, P5P is a good idea. If, like me, you are TT, you process B6 well and will overdose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease… Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete